First impressions count: creating a hallway with impact
There's no denying it - first impressions count; and that also applies to your home. Hallways are rarely the first thing we consider when designing a home, in fact sometimes they are neglected completely, seen just as the passageway to the more important rooms of the house. However this linking space is an area well worth considering in the overall design of your home.
Your hallway is not only an opportunity to set the tone of your home, but also a key space to communicate a sense of personality and a chance to create an impact with striking fittings and statement pieces, leaving visitors eager for more. Creating an entryway with a sense of balance and style, that is in keeping with the colours and characteristics of the rest of the house can be a challenge so I've put together a few key tips and inspiring ideas to help you design a hallway with impact:
1. Use large mirrors in dark or narrow hallways to reflect the light and enhance the brightness, as well as creating the illusion of more space. Mirrors placed opposite a natural light source such as a window or door will be the most effective.
2. If you are blessed with a bright and spacious hallway painting the walls and ceiling in a shade of white is one of the best things you can do to emphasise the feeling of space and light in the space.
3. Employ smart storage solutions like this cupboard that also acts as a table for decorative accessories.
4. Statement lights like in the modern chandelier in this warm, chic space create a seriously stylish focal point.
5. Adding large pieces of colourful artwork is a great way of bringing colour to the space if you want to opt for a neutral shade on the walls.
6. Create a show-stopping focal point with a striking staircase.
If you have any questions on colour schemes or solutions for your hallway, stairs and landing you can send them to me via the contact page above.