Get The Look: Hamptons Chic
There is nowhere that does costal style quite like the homes of East Hampton. These idyllic seaside dwellings prove that living by the sea is a great source of inspiration when it comes to designing a home. Costal design schemes when done in a soft and tasteful manner are beautiful and relatively simple to achieve. For me there are a few golden rules when it comes to creating a coastal inspired space:
Pattern - Incorporating some subtle stripes, shell art or nautical inspired patterns in wall paper, accessories and textiles will add depth and variation to this more classic style.
References to the sea - Whether you include coffee table books on beaches or artwork incorporating the coastal scenery, it's a nice idea to display this theme in a few small, simple accessories throughout your space.
Natural materials - Natural materials like jute and linen are beautiful and particularly appropriate for coastal schemes, which incorporates so many elements of the great outdoors.
Cool walls - For a coastal scheme wall colours are best in cool, neutral shades like greys, off whites, pale blues or cool greens can work beautifully too.
Coral - Whether it's the colour or the substance, I love the use of coral in seaside homes. It's a beautifully intricate and artistic material that makes a great decorative piece. Likewise the beautiful, blush orange shade of coral matches beautifully with a pale seaside blue for an added layer of colour in your seaside retreat.
SHOP THE COASTAL LOOK
- Stocksund Sofa, €595 from IKEA
- Dipitique Mimosa Candle, €44 from Brown Thomas
- Decorative Coral, €35.99 from Zara Home
- Dorset White Coffee table, £350 from Laura Ashley
- Duck Egg Blue Tub Chair, €556.52 from Oliver Bonas
- Jute & Metal Lantern, €35.99, from Zara Home
- Coral Cushions, from €15.99 from Zara Home
- Wood Panel World Map, £60.80 from Laura Ashley
- Framed Clouds Canvas, £62.40 from Laura Ashley
- Lamp, £36.40 from Laura Ashley
- Duck Egg Stripe Cushion, £20.16 from Laura Ashley
Do you have a home by the sea? Or would you like to create a costal inspired look in your home? This is also the perfect scheme for a holiday home by the beach.