DIY: Marble Mugs
This is a great, simple DIY project you can do very easily and with products you probably already have. I recently decided to make these marble mugs to give as part of a house warming gift for a good friend. This particular friend is an avid coffee drinker and we regularly catch up for coffee in her place or mine, so these mugs felt very fitting.
To make these mugs you'll need:
- A large bowl
- A few bottles of nail varnish (in complimentary shades)
- A few tooth picks/skewers
- Nail varnish remover
- Plain white mugs
- Warm water
- Add some warm water to a bowl and add a few drops of the nail varnish to the water.
- Working very quickly use the tooth pick/skewer and gently spread the colours and create a pattern you like or encourage the colours to spread around.
- Holding your mug by the handle gently dip it in to the water and roll from one side to the other so that the varnish coats the outer surface of the mug.
- Allow the nail varnish to dry.
- Once dried you can use the nail varnish remover to take off any varnish that may have gone inside the mug.
Experiment around a little with colours and patterns for this project. Remember it'll only take a bit of nail varnish remover to take it all off and you can start again. With that in mind, your nail varnish design prob won't stand up to the dish washer so the mugs will need to be hand washed.
Would you try a DIY project like this? Or have you tried something like this before? If you've any comments or questions at all just let me know.