New Year, New Room
Naturally, at the beginning of the year we look to areas of our life which we want to improve or develop in the year ahead. While lifestyle choices, career and diet are the crucial areas for many of us, have you ever thought about how your environment can help facilitate a happier, healthier you?
I've seen it with numerous clients, when their home improves, other areas of their life seem to follow suit. They become more productive, take better care of themselves and discover new things that make them happy, all as a result of a more beautiful and better functioning space.
Our bedrooms are our haven and should be the sanctuary we escape to from the day to day hassles of modern life, to relax, unwind, spend the occasional duvet day and enjoy some much needed time to ourselves.
With all this in mind, the new year is the perfect time to set about refreshing your bedroom. It doesn't have to be expensive or take months and months of effort. There are so many small changes we can make to freshen up our rooms. Here are just a few...
1. Paint - the power of a fresh coat of paint is something that has to be seen to be believed. A room can be utterly transformed with a fresh coat or better still a brand new colour. Be as bold or as brave as you like, just remember the room should be relaxing and not over stimulating (loud or vibrant colours are generally best saved for living rooms/dining rooms). Here are a few colour schemes I love...
2. Headboard - While many people love the minimalist look and clean, simplistic interiors, a headboard is a great investment and makes a world of difference to a bedroom. You can source a new one, check out some charity or second hand shops for something vintage or try one of these alternative headboards we explored a while back.
3. Storage - In a space where you need to house all of your valued worldly possessions, storage is crucial. If this is something you lack in your bedroom, never fear for there are tonnes of clever, storage solutions that look pretty and are budget friendly.
4. Lamps, mirrors, cushions - Three things that will make a room! Again charity shops or vintage stores will be your best friend when it comes to sourcing unique, eclectic pieces. Or the fantastic thing about tackling your bedroom at this early stage of the year means we are still in sale season and there are plenty of bargains to be found.
SHOP THE SALES
(Click images to shop directly)
5. Textures - Last but certainly, absolutely, most definitely, not least comes: textures. Because lets face it - nobody wants a cold and uninviting bedroom. Bedrooms by their very nature need to be (a) cosy and (b) inviting. There is something about textures that acts like a giant, snuggly blanket to the eyes. Three magic words: curtains, cushions, rugs.
If you're looking for some advice or ideas for a bedroom update, don't be shy! You can contact me here or in the comments below, I'd be happy to help with any design dilemmas or questions you might have.