Blackberry, Almond & Honey Cake
A rich berry flavour and dense almond texture make this simple cake the perfect seasonal treat. Making the most of the bold blackberry whilst also capturing sweet notes of honey in an almond based cake, this easy bake has a lot going for it.
The beauty of the ingredients is not only their seasonality but also their health benefits. Each of the key ingredients - Blackberries, Honey and Almonds - have significant health benefits associated with them. The cake utilises honey for sweetness and almonds for texture which leaves behind the high sugar and cream flour content of traditional cakes, making this treat both gluten and sugar free.
250g Butter (softened)
300g Ground Almonds
75g Gluten Free Flour
1 level teaspoon of salt
A handful of fresh Blackberries
1. Combine the soft butter with the honey fully and then gradually add the two beaten eggs.
2. Fold in the ground almonds, flour and salt. The salt really elevates the honey fragrance which brings all of the flavours together perfectly.
3. Gently fold in a generous handful of the fresh blackberries.
4. Pour the combined mixture into a cake tin, a bunt tin makes for a really easy and pretty cake that is equally effortless.
5. Bake the cake at 185°C for approx. 30-35mins. Insert a wooden skewer into a central point and once it comes out clean you will know that the interior of the cake is fully cooked.
6. Serve with a gentle sprinkle of icing sugar, a drizzle of honey and some chopped pistachio nuts.